Faculty Meetings records
Scope and Contents
The collection is composed of minutes from the Faculty Meetings, either handwritten in bound notebooks, or typed. The typed minutes from the 1928 through the 1934 meetings have two copies -- one copy is bound, the other is not. The unbound copies are organized in folders. The minutes span from September 1901 until September 1968.
- Creation: 1891-1968
- Maryland State Normal School . Faculty (Organization)
- State Teachers College at Towson. Faculty (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access. This collection is open to the public.
Conditions Governing Use
Towson University Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) is the owner of the original materials and digitized images in our collections; however, the collection may contain materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials. Consult with SCUA to determine if we can provide permission for use.
Biographical / Historical
Faculty Meetings were used to communicate information to the faculty and staff of both the Model School and the teacher’s training school. In time they would become a place for faculty development and a legislative body within the school community.
In 1891, E. Barrett Prettyman, the second Principal of the Maryland State Normal School in Baltimore, established regular Faculty Meetings to delegate school business to other school officials. The faculty and staff from both the Normal and the Model schools were included, and totaled sixteen in all. All faculty members, when available, were present at these meetings and undertook discussions and decisions that included admissions standards, the school calendar, curriculum development, health concerns, library management, school colors, and school entertainments. Committees were created on an as-needed basis to investigate certain topics such as specific texts, curriculum aids, and undertake administrative duties like overseeing the student registry.
For the next three years, the meetings were held twice a month during the school term. However, by 1894, the meetings became more erratic, and ultimately began focusing almost solely on school special days such as Arbor Day, or the entertainments held by the school’s two literary societies, the Normals and the Pestalozzis.
In 1905, George W. Ward became the third Principal of MSNS, and under his guidance, the Faculty Meetings were re-instated as first twice a month meetings, and soon after, weekly meetings. Ward used these meetings not only to address school business, but also as opportunities for faculty development. Faculty members were assigned “special topics” to address at the meetings, usually developments of education within their specific branch of interest, and after presenting their topics, discussion among the faculty would follow. After some of these meetings, Dr. Ward would host a social hour with the faculty at his home with his wife.
After Sarah E. Richmond, fourth Principal at MSNS, moved the school to its present Towson location, for the first time the school listed in the 1916-1917 school catalog the Standing Committees of the Faculty. They were as follows: the Admissions, Classification, and Courses Committee, the Grounds, Buildings, and Equipment Committee, the Literary Societies Committee, the Public Exercises Committee, the Physical Welfare of Students Committee, the Athletic Committee, and the Credentials Committee. These committees were not permanent and every year until the 1936-1937 academic year, the committees would change on an as-needed basis.
After the school became the State Teachers College at Towson under Lida Lee Tall in 1935, the Committee structure became more permanent. The following committees were in place until 1941:
The Alumni Committee, the Art Center Committee, the Assemblies Committee, the Athletics Committee, the Commencement Committee, the Education Through Radio and Movies Committee, the Entrance Examinations Committee, the Exhibits Committee, the Health Service Committee, the Library Committee, the Maryland Room Committee, the President’s Advisory Committee, the Scholarship and Personnel Committee, the Student Council Advisory Committee, the Student Loans Committee, the Student Schedules Committee, the Student Section Advisors Committee, the Teacher Training Committee, and the Visual Education Committee.
Tall returned to twice a month meetings, but continued to use the meetings as a place to discuss school business as well as educate her faculty members on the latest teaching methods. Tall’s successor, M. Theresa Wiedefeld, re-classified the committees in 1944, organizing them by function. Group I committees were considered essential to the school’s ability to function, Group II were committees where faculty served as advisors to student activities, Group III were committees that aided the administration of the school, and Group IV committees were focused on faculty issues and development. They were organized as follows: Group I -- Service Committee, Safety Council, Special Days Committee, Glen Committee, Healthy Living Committee, Commencement Activities Committee, and Publicity Committee Group II -- Glee Club, Assembly Committee, Student Government Association, Marshals, Student House Committee, Tower Light, Athletic Association, Art Club, Natural History Club, Rural Club, Student Christian Association, Mummers, Faculty-Student Council. Group III -- Committee on Academic Standing, Committee on Curriculum Materials, Faculty Trustees for Culture and Student Loan Funds, Curriculum Committee, Committee on Faculty Meetings, Freshman Mothers Week-End Committee Group IV -- Faculty Standing Committee, Faculty Social Committee. By the time Wiedefeld, and her succesor, Earle T. Hawkins, were Presidents of the school less time was spent on faculty development and more time informing the faculty of decisions already made by individual committees serving as representative bodies of the entire faculty and school. Much of this was due to the fact that the school community had grown. In 1947, the year Wiedefeld retired and Hawkins became President, over 600 students were enrolled at the school while the faculty numbered 63. By 1961, enrollment had almost tripled to over 1700 students and the faculty and staff had doubled to 120. In May of 1961, Hawkins announced that the Faculty Standing Committee had approved the formation of a College Senate, and that while Faculty Meetings would still be held, their impact upon decisions within the school community had become obsolete.
2.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Series 1: Meeting Minutes
This series contains minutes of the meetings of the Faculty, either handwritten or typed. These minutes reflect discussions and decisions made by the committee as a whole.
Series 2: Ad Hoc Committees This series contains minutes from subcommittees formed to study and recommend action to the Faculty committee. The subcommittees, created on an as-needed basis and therefore not permanent committees, began in the 1930s.
- Guide to the Faculty Meetings records
- Felicity Knox
- June 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description