Skip to main content

Health Center records

 Record Group — Box: 1
Identifier: UA-004-004-004

Scope and Contents

These records are composed of administrative files, correspondence, reports, and training manuals.

Dates

  • Creation: 1950 - 2001

Conditions Governing Access

Some materials in this collection may be restricted due to the presence of confidential information. Please contact Special Collections & University Archives for more details regarding access.

Conditions Governing Use

Towson University Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) is the owner of the original materials and digitized images in our collections; however, the collection may contain materials for which copyright is not held. Patrons are responsible for determining the appropriate use or reuse of materials. Consult with SCUA to determine if we can provide permission for use.

Biographical / Historical

Until the move to Towson, students at the school were treated by neighborhood physicians. In 1923, the Maryland State Normal School was awarded a federal grant that allowed for the hiring of a campus physician. These doctors often also taught health classes on campus. Besides attending to acute medical issues on campus, all students of the school were expected to undergo physical examinations every year by the campus physician until the early 1960s. In 1963, the first Health Center was constructed on campus and named after Anita Dowell who helped establish the school's health education curriculum. In 2014, the health center moved to the Ward and West facility.

Extent

.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Title
Guide to the Health Center records
Author
Felicity Knox
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Towson University Special Collections and University Archives Repository

Contact:
Albert S. Cook Library
8000 York Rd
Towson MD 21252 United States