Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview The Baltimore Teachers’ Training School opened on January 5, 1901 at the corner of Lafayette Square and Greene Street in Baltimore City. It was established by the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners in response to a call for educational reform. This collection contains correspondence regarding the 1924 merger of the Baltimore Teachers’ Training School with the Maryland State Normal School in, information about student life and activities, and official student records.
Overview In 1963, after a comprehensive reorganization of public higher education in Maryland was undertaken, Governor John Millard Tawes appointed the new Board of Trustees of the State Colleges (later renamed the Board of Trustees of the State Universities and Colleges) for higher education under the provisions of Chapter 41 of the Laws of Maryland. The five state colleges to be overseen by the newly appointed Board were those of Bowie, Coppin, Frostburg, Salisbury, and Towson, with Morgan State...
Dates: 1963 - 1988
Overview The Maryland State Board of Education had its beginnings with the Act of 1865, enacted by the General Assembly, and providing a “uniform system of free public schools for the State of Maryland.” The supervision and control of the first public system in Maryland was vested in a State Board of Education, consisting of high ranking political officials. New laws were enacted in the years 1868, 1870, 1904, and 1916, which shaped the organizational structure of the Board. The members of the Board...
Dates: 1938 - 1967
Scope and Contents This collection includes the activities of the 1910-1915 MSNS Building Commission including the Commission’s minutes, Commission reports to Maryland General Assembly and the Public, correspondences, legal documents, financial records and statements, and miscellaneous items that relate to the MSNS’ move to Towson and the dedication of the new campus.
Dates: 1910 - 1916
- Subject: Maryland. State Board of Education X